Re: [TenTec] pilot light bulbs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] pilot light bulbs
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:20:41 -0400
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson writes...

> It was standard practice in Collins high power transmitters to include a
> resistor in series with each lamp to extend life. I think the resistor
> was chosen to drop the voltage about 10%. I made it practice also to
> choose lamps with longer lifetimes at their rated voltage.

I would think it would be quite easy to install a couple of rectifier
diodes inline in the 12-volt power line from the RCA power plug on the
back of the tuner. That would drop the voltage about 10%. The power
connector on the Ten Tec tuners drives only the panel light bulbs--I
ran my 229 tuner for a long time with no power at all, but I'll admit
that linear dial is easier to see with the lights working.

Rick "who might even put the diodes in the cord supplying the power"
Denney