Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base

To: "Ten Tec Contesting" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:14:30 -0700
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:07:29 -0500, Mike Gorniak wrote:

>Obviously, the radials are critical to the performance of the antenna.
>But it's the ground rods that protect the station from lightning damage.

Hi Mike,

Intuitively, the radials provide a capacitive connection to earth, while
the rods are part of a DC connection that includes both resistance and
inductance. As frequency increases, inductance dominates. Since lightning
is a broadband event (that is, DC to many MHz) with most of the energy
concentrated within several octaves centered around 1 MHz, one would expect
that capacitance to be of value WHEN the strike happens.

I'm not a lightning expert, but I'd want to see some science on that
(controlled studies, lots of installations and events analyzed
statistically, with peer review) before I would accept this statement as a
given. (It's entirely possible that this work exists, of course, I just
don't know about it.) The rods may have prevented damage in your situation,
or it could have been coincidence. What I WOULD accept is the DC connection
(the rods) minimizing the slow buildup of a DC charge that might lead to
the event.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC