Re: [TenTec] Omni VI frequency error - problem solved

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI frequency error - problem solved
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 20:52:31 +0100
Jerry,

Thanks for the info.

I made final adjustments this afternoon by fishing out an old GC
receiver and using it to receive WWV on 10MHz. I held a piece of wire
onto the Omni TCXO divide-by-two chip output, and dangled the other end
near the GC receiver. Using AM detection I was able to adjust the TCXO
to within about 1/2Hz by listening to the "flutter".

Then I listened to the 40m broadcast band music station and adjusted the
BFOs.

I spotted a simple construction project which uses a ferrite rod antenna
and a high gain TRF chip to produce a 198KHz output from the BBC
Droitwich transmitter. That would form a crude, but useful, off-air
standard. Droitwich used to be 200KHz, which made it simple to produce
other reference outputs, but they changed to 198KHz some years ago when
AM stations moved to 9KHz channel spacing.

Thanks again,

Steve G3TXQ