Re: [TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Audio Hum on Omni-VII
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:17:33 -0700
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:46:25 -0500, Dudley Hurry wrote:

>Could be, but not in all occasions..   Example, the Jupiter's audio
>output is isolated ground,  audio ground is not chassis ground,
>therefore you can not bond the audio ground to chassis ground,
>isolation or matching transformers is the only way to make a good
audio
>connection.

Dudley,

What you describe is a classic pin 1 problem, which is well known as a
CAUSE of Hum, Buzz, and RF interference. That doesn't surprise me --
nearly all ham gear is built with pin 1 problems, including my
FT1000MP, my new K3, and my Omni V. The mechanisms by which this
coupling occurs are VERY well known in the pro audio world, and are
well documented in the tutorials on my website. The pin 1 problem
first published by Neil Muncy, ex-W3WJE, in 1994, in the June 1995
Journal of Audio Engineering Society. It is in any engineering library
(visit your local university) and can be purchased for a nominal sum
from www.aes.org. This is a peer-reviewed publication. You don't get
published until some serious engineering talent has agreed that it is
solid. Mr. Muncy was made a Fellow of the AES, largely on the strength
of this work.

Pin 1 problems are excited by CURRENT, which is in turn caused by the
voltage difference between one equipment chassis and another. This
voltage difference ALSO shows up in series with the signal because the
interconnection is unbalanced. The bonding techniques outlined in my
Ham Interfacing presentation, and in the RFI tutorial, reduce this
current to a very small value by reducing that voltage to a very small
value. The result is no hum, no buzz, using nothing more than plain,
ordinary, copper wire. It is nothing more than a very simple
application of Ohm's Law.

No transformers are required. There is no "matching" to be done.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC