Re: [TenTec] What am I missing here?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What am I missing here?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:39:22 -0600
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 19:33 -0500, Ken Bessler wrote:
> Wow! Thanks for all the info, guys! There are several other factors affecting
> my choice:
>
> I would really like to have 6 meters - that was part of the draw to the Pro
> III.
> I have experience with Power SDR lite (Softrock40).
> I am a 100% Linux convert since last spring.
>
> I guess that kinda seals the deal or would anyone else like to chime in with
> suggestions???
>
> Ken KG0WX

Icoms have a really bad habit for VHF operation. They shift to LSB for
CW. Many a QSO on 6m and up is done mixed mode running SSB and CW on the
same frequency, or modes are switched rapidly at both ends of a contact.
Going to LSB for CW is more disastrous than the FT-726 and 736 shifting
the receiver frequency without changing the display when switching
modes. Switch an Icom from USB to CW and it transmits about 1 KHz
outside the lower side of the other rig's filter, which makes it really
hard to hear unless its just across town. I heard one on 2m doing last
Monday during the 2m sprint. Its a BAAAAD Icom habit, that may be cured
but this local user didn't know how.

73, Jerry, K0CQ