Re: [TenTec] Orion II max Power

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II max Power
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:58:00 -0700
Duane  / Fotis - Turns out I have been looking at the 566 PA module for some
different reasons than getting more power - but - the output devices are
pushpull 2SC2290 bipolars - the driver for that stage is a push pull pair of
FETS the RD16HHF1 - this is for the ORION II 566. (drivers are a  change
from the 565 Orion)

And the Toshiba data sheet shows typical 60 W PEP output at 10 meters at
12.5 volts but looking at Po curves  there is an inflection around 50 watts
out at 12.5 - Most Orions are probably running at more like 13 to 13.5 volts
at the PA at 100 watts so that inflection is probably a little higher. The
data sheet does not show any "maximum" ratings  but I sure would not play
wih running it at more than 100 watts  for the pair. You could probably get
120 -130 watts but what is the point . I have seen over 130 watts at 160 and
80 accidentally during my project but have it set at 100 watts .

Incidentally the FET drivers are massive overkill so they are not a limit
(assuming the load lines are low enough with the present interstage
transformer ).

I fully agree - if you want more power out - get an external amp of some
sort and let the Orion loaf. I would not mess with increasing the output no
matter what WIKI says.

73 de Hank K7HP