I'll try to keep this as short as possible. My Orion just started
giving me a little problem in the last few days. When I hit the TUNE button
(ATU disabled) to get a CW, it won't output full power. It is set for 100W,
but it only puts out 20W. If I change the PWR setting slightly while it is
transmitting, the power will jump up to 100W. If I turn the CW off and then
back on, it will only come back up at 20W again. If I start the CW with the
PWR set low and then dial it up to 100W, it will put out 100W. Effectively,
all I really have to do is alter the PWR setting slightly and the problem
Here are a couple of notes:
- I was using 1.373b5 when this started. I tried a Master Reset with no
- I then loaded 2.062 to get a fresh software load and did another Master
Reset. Problem still there.
- I removed the power connector from the radio and checked to make sure
everything looked okay. I also checked my Powerpole connector going to the
power outlet. Both looked fine.
- The problem happens going into a dummy load or antenna (Steppir).
- I tried Master Reset with no luck.
- I tried the RAM Clear reset with no luck. (First time I've ever done
- Tried another Master reset followed immediately by a RAM Clear reset and
power off/on cycle. No change.
- Power supply is an Astron 35M that I've run for a few years with no
- VSWR indication by the radio is normal.
- Radio output goes through an MFJ-1026 then AL-80B to a Tentec 238B. The
1026 and AL-80B are off, so they should effectively be bypassed. I removed
the 1026, AL-80B, and 238B from the chain and the problem is still there
directly into the dummy load.
- The radio has a good ground connected.
- Today, the problem is only present in TUNE mode. When I use my keyer (at
least right this second), it puts out 100W. In SSB mode, it also puts out
100W (at least right this second). I thought when this first happened over
the weekend that the problem was also happening in SSB mode. Maybe not.
Okay - Any thoughts?
73, Dave / K8JDC
TenTec mailing list