Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:36:49 -0800
>It would be an interesting side-line.

This is not the spirit of ham radio that I grew up with. The
tradition of ham radio is helping your fellow hams and
contributing to your community. Certainly the burden of rent
and other expenses of putting together a station ought to be
shared, but please forgive me if I am apalled by an interest
in making money on something like this.

>For anyone thinking of starting a small business be very
>careful of running afoul of the Justice Department

There's nothing illegal about charging rent or leasing
equipment and space.

>getting a group together to construct a remote control
>station is an absolutely great project for those who live
>where they cannot have a station

Yes. Where I live in Northern California, a number of hams
have found land in remote areas and put together stations
over a period of years. They work in the city, but take off
on occasional weekends to play ham radio. Some do this in
pairs or in small groups. There's cost in doing this, as
well as a lot of work, and that cost is shared.

73,

Jim K9YC