[TenTec] RF gain/switch on Corsair

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RF gain/switch on Corsair
From: jim smith <n0oct@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:13:56 -0600
Howdy,

The RF Gain/Power switch on my Corsair shot craps during the ARRL 10m
contest.  It went in a big way, taking the fuse on the power supply and
tripping a breaker in the process.

>From my read of the owner's manual, it appears to be a 10k pot.  I just
happened to have a 10k pot push/pull on/off in the junque box.  I
dutifully replaced it, but the RF gain control ain't what it used to be.

Rather than really "kicking in" at about 10 O'clock [position 4 on the
dial], it doesn't really do its thing until about 2 0'clock on the dial
[this is on 40 m].

Is  that pot really a 10k?  Is it a 10k linear or log?  Have I maybe
blown something along with the pot?

Thanks.

73, N0OCT

--