Re: [TenTec] Omni C help

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C help
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 12:37:43 -0600
On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 02:25 -0500, Mike Hyder -N4NT- wrote:
> Hi, Jerry
>
> The common terminology for the symptom of a PTO with dry, gummy grease is
> "warble."  Signals warble in frequency instead of being stable and as Phil
> says, there is difficulty in making fine frequency adjustments.

And when the shaft is not supported by the balls and thrust assembly, it
can move on its own due to speaker vibration or just relaxing from the
last operator induced motion. E.g. it backs up, on its own. Tends to go
up in frequency after being tuned down.

> I've needed the rebuild kit from Ten-Tec only once, in a 544 Triton PTO.
> The front bearing race appeared to have a groove worn in it.  When I think
> back on it, I wonder if it wasn't machined like that when new and the design
> was changed to reduce the fabrication expense.  Oh, well.

Mine was worn that way, the cup sits crooked and the groove was not
aligned with the cup.

> PTO's changed frequency slightly due to "hand capacitance" when the tuning
> knob is touched.  Later models had two music wire wipers mounted under the
> screws at the front of the PTO.  The wipers rubbed on the shaft.  It's an
> easy retrofit.

Mine would be a lot more sensitive to that, but has the wipers. I made a
new flywheel knob out of 2" diameter aluminum. I like what it does to
the radio tuning feel.

> Happy New Year, everybody !
> Mike N4NT

73, Jerry, K0CQ