[TenTec] Paragon II and 301 encoder knob

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon II and 301 encoder knob
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:05:38 -1000
Now that I am using my Paragon II for my primary station QSOing rig, I
noticed that the 301 encoder knob cannot be used with it. At least not
without some modification. The Omni VI and the 301 encoder knob use only
+5V and Theta 1 and Theta 2 (how to get those symbols from a PC keyboard
into a email?) and the Paragon takes those two quadrature signals from
the encoder and connects them to a few gates (wired as inverters) making
them into Q1, not Q1, Q2 and not Q2. Seems like, in principal at least,
wires from the Paragon encoders two output lines could be run back to
the 25 pin D connector on the back of the radio, and make it work with a
301 plugged in there. Has anybody tried this?

DE N6KB?