Re: [TenTec] External Speaker Recommendations - Omni VI ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] External Speaker Recommendations - Omni VI ?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:54:16 -0600
On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 11:59 -0600, Bruce Warner wrote:
> Hi - I have the Inrad roofing filter installed in my Omni VI option 1, but
> the SSB receive is 'trebly' (i.e., high end, but lacks bottom end and
> fullness when in SSB receive).  Is there an external speaker that others have
> used with the Omni VI with good SSB sounding results?  Thanks for any
> recommendations/advice.

So the real problem is that the roofing filter is narrower than the
standard SSB filter which makes the carrier frequencies for USB and LSB
too far from the filter pass band corners, or too far down the slope.
What is needed is to always use the new roofing filter and to align the
carrier/BFO frequencies to fit the narrower filter. A speaker won't
solve the problem. Usually one wants the BFO to be set 300 Hz below the
passband corner frequency.

73, Jerry, K0CQ