Re: [TenTec] G5RV

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] G5RV
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 09:09:18 EST
Bob,

You're right that it would no longer be a G5RV.  As you know, the G5RV  was
originally designed to present a reasonably low impedance on the 80, 40 and  20
meter bands.  That's all.  It worked satisfactorily enough for the
vacuum-tube transmitters of that era..

By moving to a fully balanced-fed antenna with a tuner, we enable it to
provide a 50-ohm load to match today's fussy solid-state  rigs, and add bands
such
as 30, 17, 15, etc., for which the G5RV was never  designed.

Yes, a resonant dipole would produce a more predictable radiation  pattern,
but if the tuner is a low-loss design, the radiation efficiency of  the
102-foot wire would be so close to it as to be indistinguishable  in practice.
When
I replaced my New Jersey G5RV with a full-size.  balanced-fed 80-meter dipole,
I could see the improvement on 80 but the  performance on the higher bands
was virtually the same.

73,

Ray W2RS

In a message dated 2/1/2009 4:09:51 A.M. GMT Standard Time,