Re: [TenTec] Open sourcing again

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Open sourcing again
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:53:43 -0800 (PST)

Yes the Flex firmware is closed source. But the "firmware" control is confined
to the very low level hardware aspects of the Flex radio models. It only
provides control over band segment access (FCC requirement) and the low level
interface code required by some of the chips used within the radio. It is *not*
for the DSP like all of the other knobs and buttons "SDRs" out there including
the Ten Tec's.. And the PowerSDR open source software is not "just" for the
GUI, it contains probably about 90% of the radio's software, and accounts for
nearly 100% of how it behaves.

The Flex design and software model would be the equivalent of open source
programmers having full access to the raw data stream from/to the A to D and D
to A's of the Orion or the Omni VII. So for example all of the issues and user
behavior preference disputes of the Orion's V1.x vs. V2.x firmware would all be
exposed to open source developers.

Duane
N9DG