Re: [TenTec] 2.041XL first audio crash

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.041XL first audio crash
From: "Jim M." <jmiller1706@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 02:34:56 -0500
I was able to cause the continuous noise crash after selecting AF AGC mode,
and then activating the notch and the NR functions together.  Going back to
RF AGC clears it up.  Seems like a software bug in the DSP code that gets
loaded for AF AGC.  A pointer getting over written or something.  Also in AF
AGC mode, the NR function really suppresses the noise but then it slowly
rises over time, with a time constant (best I can explain it).  Seems like
the code associated with AF AGC mode needs some more work.  Not sure AF AGC
adds value.  My guess is that it was implemented as a solution to
observations that the notch and AN functions would not reduce S-meter
readings as expected.  By deriving AGC from audio, after the notches, then
AGC and S-meter would not be driven by the notched carrier.