[TenTec] Argosy II is beating me up!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy II is beating me up!
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:18:27 -0400
Gang...

It was a bloody mess and I have to admit, the Argosy II got the best
of me after a all evening test bench assault.

Here's what I know.

the pa seems to be working just fine. I had thought that perhaps one
of the drivers on the pa may have been kaput, but they checked just
fine.  To eliminate the output filters and alc, I connected the output
of the pa directly to my dummy load. No joy!

hooking everything back up I get:

On 80 meters, I get about 15 watts with 4.12 amps

on 40 meters about  I can't seem to get more than about 35 watts or
so, with 7.8 amp draw

the voltages on all the transistors are within limits. There's plenty
of output from the osc mixer. I even disconnected the counter from the
circuit.

The argosy I I have will easily do 50+ watts if you really get moving
on the alc control

I tried to match levels from one to the other, but there seems to be
quite a bit of difference between the two models.

I am going to sleep on the problem.

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o

A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is
never sure.