Re: [TenTec] 262G power supply - no rest for the weary

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 262G power supply - no rest for the weary
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

>Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:15:12 -0400
>From: "Mike Hyder  -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
>Subject: [TenTec] 262G power supply - no rest for the weary
>To: "Ten-Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>

>Some time ago I bought my first Ten-Tec rig, a Triton 544 with a 262G >power
>supply.  That supply has a speaker and a built-in VOX circuit.

>After spending hours trying to make the VOX circuit work correctly  ( I
>don't work phone but do want things to work ), I gave up and called >Garland
>Jenkins, then a super-technician at Ten-Tec for advice.

>To paraphrase Garland:  "That VOX circuit will not work in an RF
>environment."

>Who'd a thunk it?

>Mike N4NT

The 262G power supply with VOX is a well known design goof from Ten-Tec. They
have admitted it for years.

It's almost impossible to get the VOX to work correctly with the unshielded zip
code interconnect cables that they used, the plastic cabinet sides, etc, etc.
Can it be made to work? Theoretically yes if you change out all the cabling,
line the cabinet with foil shielding or some other method, install bypass caps,
ferrite cores, etc.

It's not a matter of RF in the shack in the sense of stray RF. I had a 262G and
if one was within about 100 ft of a radiating antenna, there was too much RF
present for the VOX to work properly. Now if your station was housed in a
Faraday shield...

The late Lew McCoy/W1ICP of the ARRL was rather critical of the Triton series
of transceivers and their power supplies mainly due to the plastic sided
cabinets that Ten-Tec used. The rigs perform well but the lack of shielding for
some functions was annoying and not the best design practice.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT