Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:07:41 -0600
On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 06:33 -0500, W4KW wrote:
> Dr. Gerald,
> I agree with the No-Lox, Steel wool, etc. One thing I do AFTER EVERYTHING is
> cleaned and the way I want to put it back together. I pick up some of the
> thin latex gloves, wash everything down with Vinegar (Color doesn't matter)
> let dry thoroughly and then apply the No-Lox kinda like using PVC Glue,
> can't use too much but apply to both parts twist to insure everything is
> 100% covered and then bolt and/or pop rivet together (After you double check
> your measurements one more time)
> Lots of luck,
> Bert

The NoAlox grease has two functions. First the grease keeps the aluminum
from oxidizing more, but also its filled with crystalline zinc particles
that when pressure is applied break through the aluminum oxide that is
on ALL aluminum to make a good connection. That way it makes and
maintains a good aluminum connection. I don't know that its really
weather proof so it probably would last better in some applications if
encased in tape or heat shrink tubing to keep weather and sun away.

73, Jerry, K0CQ