Re: [TenTec] OMNI D

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI D
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:08:16 -1000
Hi Paul,

     Changing the Y2 filter from the stock 2.4 kHz BW filter to 2.1 Khz
BW is not a drastic change. I would expect it to be an improvement in
tough band conditions, but perhaps not as pleasant to listen to when the
band is quiet you have a good solid path to whomever you are in QSO with.
     I often use the 6.3 MHz 1.8 kHz filter in difficult conditions to
listen to SSB signals. It is even possible sometimes to use the 500 Hz
6.3 MHz IF filter to listen to and understand an SSB signal. When using
the narrow 6.3 MHz IF filters It is necessary to adjust the the PBT in
order to get the bandpass in the right place to receive the essential
part of the spectrum necessary to understand what the other station is
saying. The PBT adjustment that works may be different for different
people's voice characteristics. With the 9 MHz filters there is no front
panel adjustment to move the filter bandpass with respect to the BFO
frequency, the way you can move the 6.3 MHz IF bandpass using the PBT
control. Putting a really narrow filter, like 1.8 kHz or less in theY2
slot would be a hit or miss proposition as far as letting the important
(for intelligibility) parts of your voice through for transmitting. By
adjusting the BFO (you 'd have to adjust both the USB and LSB BFO
frequencies) you could optimize it for your voice. Maybe you could get
it to work really well for your voice. Then the frequency readout would
be off by a bit, and on receive you might have trouble understanding
people who do not have a vocal range similar to your's.
     Also if you were to put a narrower filter in the Y2 position, it
has to have a bandpass that is coincident with any subsequent 9 MHz
filters. For instance if the the Ten-Tec model 218, or Inrad model 761
was put in the Y2 position, and you tried to use the Ten-Tec model 221
filter in one of the N-1, N-2 or the NAR filter slots for CW work, you
would find that very little signal would get through the combination of
those two filters, since they have very little passband frequency range
that coincides.
     I agree that experimenting and testing can be beneficial, and it is
a lot of fun.

73 Ken N6KB