[TenTec] current status (msg too long)

To: <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>, Ten Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] current status (msg too long)
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 10:00:33 +0000
Yep, Billy, a product recall is a product recall,

and I labeled it as much on FT reflector, but

got a flame, of course.  Yes, I am happy

Yaesu has the guts to do a recall (PEP),

but, yes, I had to pay all the shipping (just

under $800 it appears) because I am not

in Yaesu's coverage area (USA etc).  At least,

the upgrade is "free."

I have found that my updated (at factory) K3

and my old version 9000d to be about the same.

The d lacks as good DSP and the auto notch

is absent function, but the K3 DSP (with a host

of possible adjustments) is very harsh on ssb

(absolutely great on CW) and auto notch is ok.

Basically:  selectivity, same.

Sensitivity, same.

Fun to use:  hands down the 9000d wins!

When both are in front of me, I always choose

the FT and only go to the K3 for long CW

sessions and avoid the K3 for ssb.

When I had a tweeked Orion 1, I really

liked it, too, but found a slight edge to

favor the K3 (had no FT at that time) and

the Orion 1 occasionally did flakey things

that I had to recycle the off button to fix.

All my test methods are subjective and go

like this:

Antenna switch, identical speakers.

Find a really weak CW and A/B the two

rigs; and then a weak SSB and do same.

Find two very loud sigs vy near each other

on both modes and A/B the selectivity options

on both rigs.

Wait for big local or propagated noise (usual

wait for that is under 5 seconds) and A/B the

rigs with best and worst adjustments possible

 on both (u-tune filters on FT beat K3 easily).

As a proud appliance operator and a new

member of the Second Class Operators Club,

my bottom line is FUN and the FT-9000d

tops them all in that catagory.

(Tip:  look for "B stock" FT cheaper from

Ham Station, Evansville, IN--I did.)  73,

Charles Harpole k4vud@hotmail.com