Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:54:59 -0400
Richards writes...

> Why do I not hear the relays in my Omni VII / Centurion combo when
> operating SSB-phone? One must have the rig set to full QSK if you
> follow the instructions on how to run the amp.

When integrating a Ten Tec rig to a Ten Tec amp, using the TX EN and
TX OUT keying loop is the standard means by which the radio keys the
amp. In voice modes, the PTT will key the amp, and releasing the PTT
will unkey the amp. But the radio won't start transmitting until it
receives the return signal from the amp--that keeps the amp from
switching on after the exciter switched on, which is hard on the amp.

It's the normal way Ten Tec handles the amp interface. Other brands do
it different ways.

I don't think it's possible to turn QSK off on my Omni V, though you
can set it to slow which operates as semi-break-in.

As for me, sending isn't the problem as I'm going through my learning
process. Receiving is the problem. I don't have any clattering relays
to provide a ready excuse there.

Rick, KR9D