Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610
From: Carter <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 08:49:05 -0400
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

>  The main contributions from Collins in WW2 were the ARC-2 and ART-13.
>  The ART-13 covered LF and HF, PA an 813 modulated by a pair of 811.
>  It had ten mechanical presets that could be anywhere in its range.

...and those motor driven mechanical presets gave the radio its
nickname, "The Coffee Grinder". It did NOT run quietly -- but when you
were on a B-29, I guess 'noise' was relative. As a snot-nosed kid in the
early 60s, I built an HV and 28VDC power supplies to run it on the ham
bands and it was fascinating to watch the thing tune. Even operating it
was noisy. As I recall, when you were on CW, it keyed everything, up to
and including the antenna relay. A LOT of clattering.  I finally got rid
of the radio because I couldn't run the thing after my parents went to
bed.   :-)

Carter  K8VT