Re: [TenTec] Loud fan PS 963

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Loud fan PS 963
From: Tony Berg <tony.w1ot@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:25:09 -0400
Hi Greg,

As a last ditch measure, you could try putting a resistor across the
thermal switch whose contacts are turning the fan on and off. This
will make the fan run all the time, but at a slower speed. Experiment
with the resistor's value to slow down the fan as much as is desired.
If this does not provide sufficient cooling, and the thermal switch
closes, it will short out the resistor, and the fan will run at full
speed as before.

I did this to my Astron SS-30, and I have used it this way for over a
year. No guarantees, though, as some fans are not rated for running at
lower than normal voltage, and if the fan fails, the 963 could
overheat and fail.

73, Tony  W1OT