Re: [TenTec] Keyer Fo Omni V

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keyer Fo Omni V
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@gti.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:42:59 -0500
Ron:

Even if the keyer is set up for positive voltage keying, the saturation
voltage of the output transistor may be too high for reliable keying.
For example, this is from the Century 22 manual: "For proper operation,
the key line requires a very low resistance path to chassis, with no
appreciable voltage across it.  Hence, electronic keyers with reed
relays or transistor switched circuits incorporating low saturation NPN
transistors are recommended.  Series diodes in the key line will inhibit
proper keying."

So, you might want to check the voltage from the keying line to ground
under "key down" from the keyer.  I use a reed relay in my homebrew 8044
chip keyer. It will key old and new rigs.

                                        73,

                                        Bob WB2VUF