Re: [TenTec] High stability frequency reference oscillator for theOrion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] High stability frequency reference oscillator for theOrion II
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:33:15 -0700
Hi Lin - Is that going to be a plug in oscillator to just be a swap out deal
?

I might be interested  if it is.  I need to do a careful check again - have
not looked at it for a couple years - but when first got my OII it was
incredible -- wayyyyyy better than the 565 which was about 15 - 20 cycles
from cold.But my recollection is that from cold it was only a couple cycles
in the OII. (I happened to have another little problem and TT sent me a
second OII that they said did not have that issue but it was identical - the
TCXO in it was very poor and did not solve my problem anyhow - so I returned
it an kept the first one .)

I just looked at the A10 synthesizer schemamtic for the 565 and that TCXO is
44.55 mhz.

Incidentally some guys have put one of the little inch  computer boxer fans
in the compartment with the osc and claim it really helps. Another thing I
have thought about would be to just run 5 volts to the oscillator and leave
it on 24/7.

Now onto another - many years ago I ran schedules from W8IFX - Cincinnati
Ohio - with W4IXC in Florida on MS on two meters .I also had a buddy W8SDJ
about 12 miles due east of me - we both had KW's on two and long yagis. We
set our frequencies about 500 cycles apart so he could identify which was
which and we would transmit at same time to K4IXC who was recording the two
signals on an old paper tape recorder . It was amazing how many times he
would hear one or the other but not both at the same time .Never did
understand that - sure does not seem to fit what we knew about meteor trails
back then anyhow.I just happened to find some of the old tapes that K4IXC
sent me a few weeks ago in a major clean out so it all came back. This was
done in early 1960's.

73 de hank K7HP