[TenTec] sick Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] sick Orion
From: Ralph Matheny K8RYU <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:03:29 -0500 (EST)
Before I ship it off, I thought I would shoot out a message and see if this is
one that can be delt with here.

My Orion has no RF output, appears to draw current in transmit, heat sink gets
warm
and I suspect would get hot if left on for a long period.  The display indicates
"HIGH SWR" when the unit is placed in transmit.  I suspect the TR switch is not
working.  I'm thinking TR relay.

The unit has some other problems, which may be in part related.  It needs a new
display,
and TT says those are out of stock as of a few weeks back.  I was planning to
replace
the display here, but after this failure I'd perhaps send the unit to TT
service.  If the
display is still not available, they would not be able to do that job while
there, so
I'd still have to do that task here.  The radio has also had problems with
power control,
which I have traced to a bad pot on the PA board.  A little nudge on that pot a
few weeks
back seemed to clear that problem, but I have seen that again this week.  The
power
control problem had been blamed on software (V1.372) until this past fall when
I discovered
that the problem could be cleared by bumping the top of the radio.

Thoughts?