[TenTec] Century 21 Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century 21 Question
From: Curron HILL <kb3drw@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 06:54:48 -0500
Can some one explain how to use the zero beat and offset controls on a Century
21?  It is a DC receiver and different than I have ever used.  I know that
pressing the zero beat button disables the Offset control.  I know that you
tune the CW sound until it goes down to point that you can't hear it. If you
continue to tune you hear the CW begin agian going up in pitch. So you back up
until it can't be heard again.  Then you tune the Offset until it has a
pleasant sound.  The offset it tuning the reciever only and the transmitter
stays zero beat correct?  Is it that simple?  Or do you have to anything about
which sideband the band works from?  Why the +/- on the offset?  is it so that
you can listen to either side of the CW from the Zero Beat point and maybe get
away from other transmissions on one side of zero beat or the other to help
eliminate QRM?

Thanks, and 73   Curron KB3DRW