[TenTec] Omni VII: Need Help with a Strange Problem

To: Ten Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII: Need Help with a Strange Problem
From: David and Dianne on Comcast <dhhdeh@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:52:38 -0500
Hi All,

My 18 month old Omni VII has recently developed a 'funny' after performing
flawlessly since purchased.

This rig has the ATU which was installed at the factory.

When first starting the radio cold, whether connected to my usual antenna,
other back-up antennas or a dummy load, upon activating the ATU, the rig will
inject terrible feedback into the speakers and/or headphones that consists of a
cross between a 60 cycle AC hum and RF feedback. It's really bad.

The ATU hunts for a match but fails and the receiver seems somewhat de-sensed
when it switches back to receive from the tune cycle.

then...

After the radio has warmed up for 15-20 minutes it operates as normal with no
sign of this condition throughout the remainder of its use during the current
session.  Once cold, it repeats again.

A conversation with Gary at TT Service suggested that I first do a master
reset, which I have not done yet deciding instead to see if anyone else has had
a similar experience or can offer any alternative suggestion.

My suspicion is an ATU component or SWR detecting circuit component that is
nearing a failure??

I'm trying to first avoid clearing my settings via a reset or ultimately having
to send it back to TT, which may have to be done in the end.

Open to any suggestions that can be offered.

Thanks in advance,

73 de N1LQ-Dave