Re: [TenTec] Electric safety

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Electric safety
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:56:41 -0500
Notwithstanding the dangers involved concerning the transfer of voltage
from equipment to you, there is also the inverse to consider. That is,
the transfer of voltage from you into the equipment.

It works both ways! I'm speaking, of course, of ESD (Electro Static
Discharge) the silent killer of many modern microelectronic circuits.
So, while you take care when in the presence of voltage for your own
protection, also take care NOT to discharge yourself into your equipment.
The human body, or metal, or carbon, can easily transfer 20 KV or more
into delicate circuits with a quick little low current static discharge.
Results of that quick spark can be instant or merely shorten equipment
life drastically.

I heartily suggest brushing up on ESD before you open that equipment
cover.

Just a thought!

73 de Phil - N8PS