Re: [TenTec] 238 Tuner

To: Ron Castro <ronc@sonic.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 238 Tuner
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:25:51 -1000
Got a used 238 tuner.  What size external cap do you use to extend range
on 160?

> Each of the internal caps that get selected by the switch are 470 pf, so you
> get a little less than 2,500 pf will all of them engaged and the variable
> cap (500 pf) at full.  To give the maximum range, you would put a 2,000 pf
> cap external, but a smaller one will work in most cases.

That is a good answer. Though, depending on the 160 meter antenna you
are trying to match, you may not need it at all. If you have a 160 meter
antenna with a "not too high" SWR, say perhaps 2:1 or less, and you are
using the 238 to get it just right for your transmitter, it will
probably do it without the added capacitance. I have a 238, without the
external capacitor, and have been able to tune any 160 meter antenna I
have tried so far. I do attempt to build my antennas for a fairly low
SWR without the tuner though.

DE N6KB