[TenTec] Orion II cabinet temp?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II cabinet temp?
From: cx7tt@4email.net
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:35:40 -0200
Hello,
I have my O II on the desk with a cabinet about 3 inches above it and
open in the back. The shack temp stays around 70 to 80 degs. I have
noticed that the front top gets very warm....my fingers can reach back
about 3 inches or so. This is regardless of my operating. Frequently I
turn the rig on at sunrise and may run it all day long with maybe only a
couple of QSOs. I am guessing that the temp is in the low 100s. Is this
normal?
The majority of the heat is from the left edge of the display and goes
to the right until left edge of the Band selection buttons. I also run
the rig with 65 w out as this is more than enough to drive a homebrew
amp. The heat sink fins are very cool to the touch as I write this. The
display is set for Backlight-medium and LCD Display-Color 4
I do not have the outboard fan option installed as I rarely do RTTY.
Would this make a diff?
73
Tom
CX7TT