[TenTec] OMNI VI VXCO help needed DK5AD

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI VXCO help needed DK5AD
From: "knut.baczko@t-online.de" <knut.baczko@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:01:54 +0200
Hello,
hopefully somebody is able to help me.
I have an OMNI VI, model 563. Since some time there was a chirp on 17m
and 12m did not work at all.
I checked the 10.000MHZ reference frequency form the crystal oven at
connector 88 and it seemd  ok.
Anyhow I wanted to test and turned trimmer capacitor 31. This had no
frequency effect. At that time I did not know that I have already  the
VXCO installed by TT when the rig was at the factory several years ago.
But after changing capacitor 31 the follwing happened what I dont
understand at all. After switching off and on again, no signals could be
heard on any band. A complete reset did not help. Only when one switches
the rig and power supply off for several hours and back again the
receiver seemed to work ok. But on transmitting in CW I got reports that
my tone was very bad. I checked my transmitted signal with an
oscilloscop and it looked ok. What I found out later was that the Omni
was receiving but only on one frequency depending on the band chosen
despite that the frequency readout changed when turning the VFO knob.
For more testing  I tuned capacitor 31 again. After that  I am stuck now
i.e. the receiver wont tune at all to a different frequency even after
the rig is switched off for longer time.
For further information it looks like that at TT the original crystall
oven was disabled by removing resistor R2 (150 OHM) which carries its
supply voltage. What I dont understand is why capacitor 31 still seems
to have a fuction though the oven is disabled? Why does it take so long
that the receiver is working again when the power is swiched off
completely? Why is the transmitted signal so bad? And off course what
can be done to have the OMNI working again.
I still  like the OMNI VI very much because in the past it was the most
reliable rig especially in contests. Other newer more computerized rigs
have sometimes problems with the high transmitted HF power present in my
shack.
Knut DK5AD/OE2BZL