[TenTec] O-II Power Board Caps

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] O-II Power Board Caps
From: Trevor Smith <virago@wildblue.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:28:51 -0500
After 6 years of nearly 100% power on my O-II demonstrated the dreaded
power board failure.
Sure enough C6 was almost 1/8" taller than the other 2 caps as it pushed
upwards from the bottom - no leaks though.

I replaced all 3 with 85c 470uf/100v while I await the delivery of the
N6IE recommended caps from Mouser.
They are only ~90 cents now if you buy 10. So I also took the
opportunity to finally install the TT headphone RF filter.

Being paranoid I decided to check all the 470uf 16v that I could find
and to my horror the 2 on the SHARC board
have nice little domes just like three mile island. C230A & C230B
decouple the Codec chips and live next to the 2
filter inductors on the RHS of the Sharc board. A similar cap on the
main RX board is totally flat topped.

Anyone had these fail before? or am I the only guy with ~50,000 hours on
my O-II?  (with the electric bills to prove it!)

And a big thanks to N6IE and his webpage ( N6IE.com) for all the debug
info there.

-Trevor AB5EU