Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion2 Firmware Update
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:33:36 -0400
It is much harder to have open source for the the code in the combined
hardware type of radio the  Orion and Orion II represent, than say the
"front end" plus a computer and Software Defined code of the Flex radios.

Even the Flex that contains a PC is radio plus computer just all in one
box.  And on the flip side, I know some of the folks who build Flex
radios, and the problems they have had to fix with hardware, and
difficulties getting parts such as band toroids is kind of like
listening to Orion software woes.  I have a friend who now has a cottage
industry of winding band cores for Flex.  They could not get the quality
they needed from offshore manufacturing.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH