Re: [TenTec] Omni VI cw signals

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI cw signals
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 09:19:51 -0500
There are also complaints of a chirp from the Omni VI. Typically heard
only by other Omni VI users. It is a fact that the BFO crystal is
shifted at key closure from receive to transmit. So it is heard at the
other end of the connection and passes through the SSB filter. I suspect
the "click" and chirp are increased by the phase response at the edge of
the filter pass band and increased more by the edge of the filter pass
band in the receiver that's detecting the signal. I know I've listened
to a supposed clicky and chirpy transmitter (Omni VI at W1AW on 20
meters) and found no hints of either click or chirp using a tentec or
other receiver even when I tuned to a very low pitch which makes chirps
more pronounced.

This topic has not been on this forum for a year or two, maybe three.
But there should be extensive discussions in the archives.

Fact is, you need a rapid rise which leads to a hard signal when you run
CW above 15 wpm, faster if you run 40 or 50 wpm. Else the bits of
characters run together and get hard to copy. That also happens with
narrow CW filters from other vendors, it was noticable with a 400 Hz
filter in a Kenwood at speeds of only 25 to 30 wpm.

There are thousands and thousands of happy Omni VI CW operators happily
working rag chews, traffic, and DX without click or chirp complaints. I
don't have one simply because I prefer USB for CW, especially on VHF
with a transverter where USB is the standard voice mode and mixed mode
contacts are common.

73, Jerry, K0CQ