Re: [TenTec] headsets

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] headsets
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:12:48 -0400
While I concede the Yamaha headset works well and is about $50...
it is my view that .... The Ten Tec 777 is made much better than the
Yamaha unit,   i.e., is made of more durable, higher quality parts.

The Yamaha unit uses an electret condenser mic, and that is HOT compared
to a dynamic mic - and you NEED to have the proper resister, capacitor,
etc., in the circuit to use an electret condenser mic with the rig, AND
YOU MUST reduce the hardware audio gain under the rig to get a hot
electret condenser mic to work properly with the AGC on the rig.
Frankly ... I prefer a dynamic mic element.

I kinda like the TT 777 headset... but I will probably sell it in favor
of  my
other headsets  (Sennheiser, AudioTechnica, Shure,...)

I think it is a good product for TT ... way, no WAYYYY better than those
cheapo WarrenGregoire sets they previously endorsed.    Sheesh... those
are just AWFUL...

So  has a winner in this one, I think.     (Again, I am NOT dissing the
Yamaha
unit... we all used one during the 160M SSB contest in Feb and no one
complained about comfort or audio quality and we got LOTS of compliments
on our audio - we used another guy's Omni VII ... )

Just MY take.