Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Firmware 2.044A PTT

To: tentec@contesting.com, ronc@sonic.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Firmware 2.044A PTT
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:05:08 EDT
Hi Martin,

I just tried that with my Orion 2.  With the PTT button down and no  audio,
I got 12 watts this time (not 11).  I whistled into the mike and got  27
watts (I'm not very good at whistling).

Perhaps John or someone else at T-T can enlighten us about what  algorithm
is in use.  The instruction manual (October 2005 edition)  says:

"Carrier amplitude for AM operation is set automatically by ORION II.   The
PWR control on the front is used for PEP output setting in AM  operation.
A value of 100 would correspond to 100 watts PEP AM output, or  25 watts
carrier power maximum."

I just tried that, and with the PWR button depressed I get 96 watts, which
is close enough to 100 for government work.  I would just feel better if
someone with the proper test equipment for measuring PEP output could verify
that with real speech.

73 Ray W2RS\

In a message dated 6/12/2010 2:42:04 P.M. GMT Standard Time,