[TenTec] OT: Microphones

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Microphones
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:28:10 -0500
Sorry, this is not directly Ten-Tec specific, but this reflector has a lot
of expertise.

I would like to tap into it.

I am in the market for a new microphone.

Last time I bought something was 1974.

It was a Shure 444.  I loved it.  It is pretty worn out now.

There doesn't seem to be much choice of vendors these days.

Seems everybody has left the market.or left our market.

Although the Shure is a table mic, I usually held it in my hand.

What I liked about it was the PTT arrangement.

You could push it momentarily or also lock it.

A lot of the Heil and other replica mics look good but either they don't
have decent PTT, or they are on a 3 pound base.

I found a mic from Astatic; the 787 HL.

It looks quite like the Shure 444, is plastic, and has the same (or similar)
PTT.

It's street price is only about $100.

HAS ANYONE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS MIC?

HAS ANYONE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT ELSE I SHOULD BE LOOKING AT?

I am not going to be doing AM-quality SSB or anything like that.

I just want a good communications mic.

Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.

73

Rick