[TenTec] Slightly OT - oscilloscope question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Slightly OT - oscilloscope question
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:00:55 -0500
Reworking the workbench to be a little more builder-oriented and a little
less as a fix-it area, so I am considering a scope for the first time. I've
used them very little in the past, but I'm relatively sure that a 50 MHz
would suffice for me here as I don't operate higher than 6 meters. I do know
that short probes with minimal capacitance can be important, but I need some
help with knowing how much to get without overdoing or under doing it.

What's out there that would work for joe average ham as a decent scope? Cost
is always a factor, as is relative ease of use and learning curve (English
major here). Single trace? Dual? Lots of bells and whistles? Few? Particular
brands? Brands and models to stay away from?

Especially fragile to ship, or should I stick to looking close to home?

Mike, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, old trucks, little radios, and summers off
to write