Re: [TenTec] swr

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] swr
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:14:21 -0400

On 8/16/2010 10:22 PM, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

> Likely the loss in most tuners feeding the 43' vertical through a short
> coax is a lot more than 50% (3 dB) probably more like 90% (10 dB).

                Yes, this comports with conclusions stated in
                the much of the literature on the matter.

                Oddly enough, this big stick vertical monopole has
                proven itself a very quiet, solid RECEIVING antenna
                for both ham and general SWL purposes.  I am lucky
                in that I do not suffer from excessive or increased
                QRM-EMI-RFI type noise as is usually associated with
                vertical antennas.   Also, it seems to work quite
                well on 80 meters (especially for AM mode) and
                on 40 and 20 meters quite well, indeed.

                My take, is that asking this to do fully service on ALL
                the major HF bands is asking too much of it.  I am
                happy just getting a reasonable signal out on 160
                and on bands higher than 20.  It does a lot in a little
                space and without a large footprint and without
                a big visual impact.   The wife has no objection and
                I am sure an 80 foot tower, with a big yagi beam,
                and several low band dipoles would be way less
                accepted.   Not the best antenna, but not an
                altogether bad one, either.     It certainly is cost-
                effective.

> You do have to adjust that coax transformer's length depending on the
> velocity factor of the coax that depends on the insulation density if
> foamed.

                Agreed.

THANK YOU FOR THE ADDITIONAL GLOSS IN ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS.