Re: [TenTec] filter

To: <geraldj@weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] filter
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:23:17 -0500
>From the TT model 588 manual:

"We refer to the roofing filters in the OMNI-VII

as "distributed" because filters are spread

across both the first and second I-F stages.

The conversion stages in the OMNI-VII are

70 MHz first I-F, 455 kHz second I-F, 14 kHz

(DSP) third I-F. A monolithic filter at 20 kHz

bandwidth is present at the first I-F stage

between the first and second mixers.

Selectable second I-F filters at bandwidths

of 20, 6, 2.5 kHz, 500 Hz (optional) and 300

Hz (optional) can be cascaded with the first

I-F monolithic filter at 20 kHz bandwidth.

Bandwidth filtering is done in DSP at the

third I-F and is controlled by the BW encoder

on the transceiver front panel.

The net effect of using 455 kHz second I-F

filters is to increase blocking dynamic range

over what the receiver would be capable of

without the second I-F filters installed. Third

order intercept point essentially remains

constant. The front-end AGC in the

transceiver is after the 455 kHz I-F filters;

having them installed prevents the radio

from attempting AGC action on a signal that

is outside the bandwidth of the 455 kHz I-F

filter.

SSB operators will not require additional

filters; additional filters can be installed

optionally by CW or digital mode operators."

73,

Gary - AB9M