Re: [TenTec] What Model Ten-Tec Rig Do I Need ?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] What Model Ten-Tec Rig Do I Need ?
From: d.e.warnick@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:38:05 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, all the current TenTec stuff has the classic TenTec QSK. So, any TenTec
rig will work CW as you want. I have found that the 'phone stuff' is not a
burden to the CW side of operation. CW is also my first choice.

So, if you are looking for a current rig, the Eagle is a bargain, but not a
contest rig. Great receiver, so it should be good for both rag-chew and DX
operation.

I currently have 2 Omni VI+ with a full complement of filters (IR with the IR
600 Hz roofing filter). Incredible CW rigs, but some say not great on phone.
Have used several Paragons, they offer general coverage (didn't use that) and
for my old eyes, didn't care for the 1/4" frequency display.

Had a few Corsair II's with the external VFO's. For an old timer, they were
fantastic. Two knobs for split operation and every option imaginable for using
those 2 vfo's. Wouldn't mind having one of them back. Only drawback (every 7
years or so, rebuild the PTO). Not a big deal at all.

Have an Omni D on the bench for repair right now. For a low cost rig, that 30+
year old rig is great on CW. Add an external VFO and off you go chasing DX. But
it is not as good as the Corsair II or Omni VI+.

So, the real choice for us old geezers is price point. What do we want to spend
on a TenTec. If you had said that you contest, I'd say Omni VII or Omni VI+.
You didn't say that, so I'd suggest that either a Corsair II with external VFO
or an Omni VI+ would be great choices. If you want to spoil yourself with a new
rig, look at the Eagle and the Omni VII.

I'm not turning my back on a used Orion or an Orion II, but they have a
learning curve. If you want the best there is for contests or weak signal DX,
take a look at them also

Not much help with that advice, but only you know how you operate and whether
you contest. You'll love any of them.

Also, be sure that you invest in the matching TenTec power supply. The
protection that provides to the rig is a must.

Dave

WA3F