Re: [TenTec] Argosy AGC mods---tantalum capacitors--whats the difference

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy AGC mods---tantalum capacitors--whats the difference?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 23:14:03 -0600
Many low priced aluminum electrolytics have a lot more series resistance
than a quality tantalum. Many I fail fresh from the distributor when I
check them for power factor, the capacitance bridge's measure of series
resistance. Small electrolytics that are a few years old are even worse.
Changing from a 33 to a 22 mf should slightly shorten the time constant,
but likely the lower series resistance of the tantalum damps the AGC
loop better to prevent pumping.

73, Jerry, K0CQ