Re: [TenTec] PTO Issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PTO Issues
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:14:08 -0600
DDS may have their place but a transceiver VFO may not be one of them
for the present state of the art. They can display low phase noise but
over a broad background spectrum of coherent closely spaced spurs
accompanied by a few spurs with significant strength. They are improving
and using a smaller fraction of their possible frequency range sometimes
allows enough major spur free range for something like a Tentec VFO.
That can require using a UHF or 1 GHz clock and taking much care with
that clock to not introduce lots of phase noise with the on chip phase
locked loop multiplier with an inadequate loop filter.

One of the best references I know for them and for designs for ham gear
in general is the ARRL book titled Experimental Methods in RF Design,
ARRL number 9239, by Wes Hayward, W7ZOI, Rick Campbell, KK7B, and Bob
Larkin, W7PUA, radio
gurus of the highest order.

73, Jerry, K0CQ