Re: [TenTec] Stealth Antennas and restricted QTHs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Stealth Antennas and restricted QTHs
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:32:00 -0500
Ray wrote:

>The PA HOA is much more strict.  There are only one or two people
>with dishes, and I suspect that's because the FCC requiring
>accommodation for 1 meter or less TV receiving dishes.

Ah, yes, the "OTARD" rule.  From the FCC OTARD "information sheet"
(http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html):

"The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) . . . prohibits restrictions
that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to
receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas
including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one
meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas,
and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions
that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or
use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance
or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal."

If one's standards for an "acceptable quality signal" are very high,
one might find the need to mount one's DTV dish or TV antenna at the
top of 60' of Rohn 25, to ensure freedom from fading under all
conditions.  And once the video antenna is properly mounted....

Best regards,

Charles