Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Indoor antenna
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 01:19:07 -0500

On 11/29/2010 6:50 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
> A couple of things come to mind, Rick.  Probably more often than not,
> the XYL has a lot to say about which house to buy that may or may not
> take the OM's hobby into consideration.

        I cannot believe how many wives do NOT consider
        their husband's hobby interests important.  My wife
        likes me... likes my dog... likes my hobby.   I give
        her the same respect and support.  It is working
        rather well for us.

        My friend Anonymous is married to a gal who keeps
        saying "you guys are crazy" and says she does not
        understand his hobby... although she just sits and
        watches stupid reality TV shows all day - while he
        is learning about electronics, circuits, radios,
        antennas, communications, and making friends out
        in the world.   But she denies him any outdoor
        antennas... I don't get it... he worked all his
        days and paid for the house, the kids, everything,
        but has no say over whether he has ANY outdoor antenna
        or not...   It's tragic.  I think he deserves a bit
        of a reward for all his hard work - he worked in some
        filthy factory for YEARS and saved like Heck and can
        now retire in relative comfort - I just don't get it.

        My wife has imposed ONE restriction - no holes in the
        roof.    I can have a 60 foo tower, but no holes
        in the roof.

        I think I can live with that.  I just don't understand
        how a wife can say she "loves" the guy, but won't
        let him have any toys.

Having a wife who is herself a  ham may be an advantage.

        Yes, but just having a supportive wife IS enough
        by itself.  Mine helps me design and install
        my antennas, even helps dig the feed line trench.
        Gotta love her.

> Also, at least here in soCal, it's becoming more and more difficult to
> buy a new home that doesn't have deed restrictions.  Odd that these
> restrictions don't expire when the last house in the development is
> sold, at which point common sense would dictate that the developer no
> longer has an interest in the project.  If there's an HOA, all bets are off.

        They "run" with the land... meaning they run in
        perpetuity, to new owners until everyone (or enough
        owners) in the HO Association vote to suspend the
        restriction.  I agree it is tragic SO MANY suburban
        developments have these restrictions.