Re: [TenTec] Speech to Text

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Speech to Text
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:02:31 -0600
Interesting point. I see newbies tuning just to the point they can copy
and the audio sounds to be 200 or 300 Hz off frequency which doesn't
improve copy and is far enough off tune with a transceiver they often
don't get copied on the other end during an operation like FD.

It is nicer to tune for the most natural sounding voice. I base that on
harmonics of the low pitches of the voice matching the high frequency
components. I think this is the fundamental of the best SSB tuning, that
the harmonic voice components truly are at the harmonic of the
fundamental. Same thing when tuning SSB broadcast music. There that
accurate tuning is more critical to my musical ears.

I don't have any hardware or software procedures for that tuning, but
I'd think about maybe showing the spectral components as received with
the harmonics of the lower voice frequency components multiplied
mathematically in a different color so the operator could tune the
receiver so the harmonics of the low pitches matched the transmitted HF
components. Not transmitting those harmonics and the gap between them
and the fundamentals is one scheme used to narrow voice communications.

Perhaps a SSB auto tuner could be developed based on matching the harmonics.

73, Jerry, K0CQ