Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] was OT: Indoor Antenna: re B&W type terminated dipoles
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:02:09 +0000
I'm puzzled by most of what Jim wrote.

"Efficiency" is a term well understood by most professional engineers
as: Efficiency = Pout/Pin

If we are talking specifically about an antenna's efficiency - not an
antenna *system* - the expression becomes:
Efficiency = (Radiated Power)/(Power input) = (Power input -
Losses)/(Power input)

The only losses in a simple antenna are I^2*R losses in the element(s).
If we take a resonant 20m half-wave dipole constructed from #14 wire,
its efficiency is about 98.5% (-0.06dB); if we operate the same antenna
on a different band - say 17m - the efficiency improves to 98.9% (-0.05dB).

The efficiency of a Double Bazooka will be lower than that of a
half-wave dipole because of extra losses in its coax stubs.

73,
Steve G3TXQ