Re: [TenTec] New Eagle vs. Used Omni VII

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Eagle vs. Used Omni VII
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:59:35 -0600 (CST)
Frank,

I must admit to being a little envious right now.  I had been saving up for an
Omni VII, but a furnace repair last night (a neccesity in Pittsburgh at this
time of the year!) just ate up most of those shekels.

However, were I right now in the position you're in & had the shekels to spare,
most likely I'd go with the Eagle.  The specs and the ergonomics are very
impressive.  The only reason I'd go with the Omni VII, for casual operating,
right now is the remote control capability via the Ethernet port, something I
personally am very interested in.

This is not to say that the Omni VII would be a bad choice for you, and I
suspect that you'll end up happy with either rig.  I just don't think that for
casual operating, the differences between the two rigs is huge enough to make a
significant difference.

In my own case, besides the remote capability, I do enough contesting that I
think the Omni VII would be a better choice.  But, home heating comes first!

73, ron w3wn