Re: [TenTec] [Amps] TenTec Centurion - 422 tuning question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Amps] TenTec Centurion - 422 tuning question
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:33:52 -0600
<<<
I am not completely familiar with the Centurian, but most amplifiers number
 their load controls from 1 to 10 and from left to right.  That being the
case, the maximum load value (in pf)  should be 1 and not 10.  So  usually
on the lower bands where more load C is needed the control would be much
lower than 10.  So based on the above statement, can you explain how what  you
said is true?  Thanks Lou

Lou, with the Centurion, 10 is max capacitance, minimal loading.

For those who find this confusing (I don't mean you Lou but any
Centurion owner) when a "Load" cap, a.k.a. C2 a.k.a. the variable cap
on the output side of an amp's pi network, is at maximum i.e. fully
meshed, the amp is _minimally loaded_.  think of it as C2 doing the

"Increasing the loading" can be thought of as allowing the antenna to
be more of a load in the pi network than C2, by reducing C2's
capacitance which in the case of the Centurion, would be moving the
Load cap knob to a less than 10 number.   The technical egg heads may
find some fault in this explanation but it helps me keep a point of
confusion straight in my head.

73

Rob
K5UJ